Thursday, August 27, 2015

Peace Snowflakes Card


I have always loved the snowflake look created by Heather Telford and others using masking fluid, but was never successful until now creating the look. I bought some very expensive masking fluid when I first saw Heather's cards using it and tried spattering it on with a toothbrush as she suggested, but had no luck. So I put it aside for some time, then pulled it out again to try on one of my BBCB backgrounds, and the masking fluid was all hard:( I know more about spattering now, so I was determined to try it again. I bought some Liquid Frisket Mask with a coupon and tried flicking it with a small paint brush, but it would not come off the brush. It was too thick. Dotting it one with the paint brush looked too artificial. Then a brilliant thought occurred to me- what if I put some on my craft sheet, mixed in a little water to thin it a bit, and tried flicking it on the water color paper with a small brush? It worked! Even diluted, the masking fluid created a small circular mask, so when I sprinkled Color Burst on top and spritzed with water, those small "snowflakes" stayed white. I tried one of my new colors of Color Burst for the first time- Indigo, which is a dark blue. I mixed it with the original Color Burst blue and spritzed with water. When it was dry, I rubbed off the liquid frisket masking fluid and I had a snowy sky look. I layered the completed piece on a navy blue card and added a die cut tree border from Poppy Stamps, some doves from Memory Box and "peace" from Ellen Hutson.

Since I used "snippets" for all the die cut pieces, I am entering this card in the challenge at Pixie's Crafty Workshop, the Holiday challenge at Live Love Cards, and the Anything Goes challenge at Simon Says Stamp.

11 comments:

Kathyk said...

Well done to you for not giving up either! Fab make

Kathyk

Elizabeth said...

Lovely card, Karen. The background is beautiful. Like you, I very much admire Heather's work but haven't gotten around to trying out masking fluid but I like the effect so much I just have to crack open that bottle hiding in my stash very soon. Elizabeth

Di said...

LOVE this card Karen! So worth the Percy Veerance - and such a serene looking result. Tee, hee - I bet some of the process wasn't quite as serene :))

Hugs

Di xx

Fabiola said...

Superbe Karen, poétique et paisible, biz

Sarn said...

Looks wonderful. xxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Persistence paid off. Wonderful card design for the holiday giving.

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I just love your card. They whole scene is beautiful. Great job!

kiwimeskreations said...

So glad you persisted with the technique as this is a stunning card Karen.
Blessings
Maxine

Andrea D. La Vigne said...

I never would have thought of thinning the masking fluid. Great idea! Love the way your card turned out. The white on the blue background is so peaceful. Tfs! ~ Andrea Andrea's Paper Antics

Teresa Kline said...

hello Karen! gorgeous watercolored background...luv this card! so glad you played along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

sparkle & shine *~*

Darlene DeVries said...

Great job Karen! The different colors of blue flow so beautifully, and I especially love the darker spots - they really make the panel very interesting. Very peaceful indeed!