Monday, December 1, 2014

Bisters vs. Brushos





A few weeks ago, before I received my package of Brusho Colours, the idea of using my Bister powders to make a card using the triple time technique came into my head. I decided to use red and yellow Bister powders on the layers of watercolor paper and the first card above is the result. I thought I would love it, but did not. Too many brown undertones in the colors, I thought. I do love the Christmas Words Tree diecut from Die-Versions, and on the first card, I used gold on the star and on my favorite word for this season, and layered it on black to make it stand out more.

So when I got my box of Brusho Colours, I decided to try their red and yellow colors to see if I liked the card more with them. The red Brusho is more pink than red and so for Christmas, is not my favorite color. But I still like how the card turned out- just not in love with it.

I have decided I like them both. If you are trying to decide between the two crystal color options, you have to decide what matters most to you. Bister powders are less expensive and create lovely one of a kind backgrounds. Many of the colors have a brown undertone to them, which can be gorgeous depending on what you are doing with them. They are available here in the U.S.  Brusho Crystal Colours are a little more expensive, but have many more colors to choose from. Most of their colors are more true, but sometimes can be boring if just using one color. Brusho Crystal Colours are available here at Dick Blick.

Sorry I  can't be more definitive. I will be using both and blogging with both as I am fascinated with the unlimited and original color options you can get with both.

I am entering these cards in the All About Christmas at Paper Creator's Crafts and the Get Festive challenge at We Do Doobadoo.




4 comments:

Kathyk said...

I'm a fan of brushos!! And I like both of your cards

Kathyk

Pia S said...

Nice!!! Very decorative backgrounds, love the way you layered these cards.

Brenda said...

Both make cool backgrounds, but the second one is much brighter for a Christmas card. But in truth, I love them both! Thanks for doing this as I was wondering what the difference in the two were. Hugs, Brenda

Verna Angerhofer said...

Oh, I think they are both fantastic and really love that die you used on them.