Monday, September 15, 2014

Repeat Impression's Project of the Week


Happy Monday everyone! It is my turn to share a Project of the Week with you here and at the Repeat Impressions blog. I will be showing you how to make a Double Easel Card and throwing in some tips on making paper piecing easier as well. I started with a 7 x 7 inch navy blue card, scored in half. The front half of the card is cut with a paper cutter at the 3 1/2 inch mark up to the score line (also 3 1/2 inch line horizontally.) Then fold the top sides down diagonally from the outside corner the the center. Here are a couple pictures of what that will look like:


The lower part of the triangles will be where the front squares are attached and what stands up to make the double easel. Now the fun part - decorating the card. I started with some old cloud designer paper from my stash, and stamped the hot air balloons from RI's Big Boy Toys Collection, then stamped them again on several colorful dp scraps. I love to paper piece and one tip I learned way back was to apply two sided tape BEFORE cutting out the element you are paper piecing. Once it is cut out, it sticks easily without having to add more adhesive at this point. This works especially well when the object has delicate or small parts, but I do this even on objects such as these hot air balloons.

I applied the hot air balloon pieces to 3 1/2 inch squares of navy blue and attached them to the bottom only of the folded triangles. I stamped "Soaring by to say Hi" twice on a 7 x 1 inch  cloud piece and attached that with pop dots to raise and hold up the two easels. I cut a 2 1/2 inch white square in half diagonally to create a triangle, and added a die cut "hi" (Paper Smooches) and a gem to complete this double easel hello card.


The card lays flat to mail as you  can see from this photo. I love trying new folds and hope this has inspired you to try something new too.

I am entering this card in the Anything Goes challenges at 613 Avenue Create and Scribble and Scrap.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Cool double easel card Karen and great tutorial! I love easel cards, they are so fun. Hugs, Brenda

Chana Malkah said...

Veryi nicely done! Thanks for sharing the wonderful tutorial as well. We are delighted that you stopped by our house here at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Verna Angerhofer said...

Now that is a cool easel card. Love that style. I have not done an easel card in ages. Might have to change that soon if I ever get caught up with other things around this farm.

Alyx said...

Great double easel. Fab for the boys. Thank you for joining us over at the Scribble and Scrap Challenge. Good luck.
xx

Ina G said...

What a great idea doing a double easel card. Must try this out. Thanks for the tutorial Karen. Lovely design with those hot air balloons

Sharon Smith said...

Great design! Thanks for sharing it with us at Scribble and Scrap xxx